Bsically you are running the same course as the 50k loop except when you get to the ‘Mirror’ corner (800m from the finish) you run straight home while all the longer distance participants carry on around the ‘loop of deception’.
The route takes you from 200m above sea level (Start/finish) up over the top of Northburn Station at around 1660m. Total climb and decent of 2200m.
There will be plenty of marshals along key areas of the course. The course will be well marked with directional arrows and reflective tape. There will be one aid station about half way with nutrition and electrolyte supplements. There will only be a couple of fresh water re-fill positions (creeks) along the course so a water carrying capacity of about 2L per person is important. there will be some compulsory re-fill points.
This is mostly a dry, hard, rocky course run over high country 4WD tracks but also including some sections of fence lines, sheep tracks and alpine streames. The weather can be ‘changeable’ so your minimum gear must be carried at all times.
- small day backpack.
- rain jacket – it can be just a ‘shell’ but it must be seam-sealed waterproof.
- merino or thermal long sleeve top
- extra fleece/mid weight wool top. (Thicker/heavier than your thermal layer)
- long thermal tights or trousers (compression tights are probably NOT thermal (unless it says so on thier tag)
- warm beanie or Thir Band
- warm gloves
- survival blanket/bag
- own snacks, gels, energy bars etc
- water bottles/bladders – enough to carry 2 litres of water at all times
- headlight for the early start
- reflector stripes or vest or back flashing light for the early start. (Your pack probably already reflectors on it)
- cell phone (recommended but optional)
- gps/compass (optional)
- gaiters (optional but highly recommended)
Start: 6am Saturday, at the Marquee, Northburn Station.
$150 until 16th March.
Entries will be refunded less 20% Admin fee if organisers are notified by 1st March. No refunds after this date but your entry is transferable to another runner or to next years event.
Entries close March 16. Late entries may be available at the race organisers discretion but a late fee of NZ$30 will apply.