Click the maps below to view as Jpegs or down load the google earth files from the Route Profiles tab above. The 100k course covers 2 maps, each loop starts and finishes in the same place – great to catch up with your supporters!
The first 50km loop take you from 200m above sea level (Start/finish) up near the most central point in New Zealand at around 1660m (2600m vertical climb). The second ‘loop’ is another 50km loop with a climb of 3750m.
There will be plenty of marshals along key areas of the course. The course will be well marked with directional arrows, plastic poles and reflective tape at night.
There will be two aid stations with nutrition and electrolyte supplements, each one about half way around each loop. You will also be coming back through the start/finish area at the 50k mark you will be able to pick up your personal refreshments/gear as required. There will be multiple fresh water re-fill positions (creeks) along the course so a water carrying capacity of about 2L per person should be adequate there will be some compulsory re-fill points.
This is a dry, hard, rocky course mostly run over high country 4WD tracks but also including some short sections of fence lines and sheep tracks. The weather can be ‘changeable’ so your minimum gear must be carried at all times.
Minimum gear requirements are:
- small day backpack.
- rain jacket – it can be just a ‘shell’ but it must be seam-seeled waterproof.
- merino or thermal long sleeve top
- extra fleece/mid wieght wool top we have just added this to the list.
- long thermal tights or trousers
- warm beanie or Thir Band
- polyprop gloves
- survival blanket
- own snacks, gels, energy bars etc
- water bottles/bladders – enough to carry 2 litres of water at all times
- headlight for night-time with back up battery
- reflector stripes or vest or back flashing light for night-time running
- cell phone (recommended but optional)
- gaiters (optional but recommended)
- gps/compass optional
- waterproof over trousers (good to have in your drop bag at TW (major aid station up the mountain) just in case.
Start: 6.am Saturday at the marquee Northburn Station
$280 before October 1st. 340 until 1st March.
Entries will be refunded less 20% Admin fee if organisers are notified by 1st March. No refunds after this date but your entry is transferable to another runner or to next years event.
Entries close March 16th. Late entries may be available at the race organisers discretion but a late fee of NZ$50 will apply.
Get the most out of your running. Sign up with Lisa Tamati and Neil Wagstaff at Running Hot Coaching, you’ll be able to learn all you need to know, in a structured and scientific way to ensure that not only will you achieve your goal but that you will do it knowing that you can avoid injury and finish strong.
They will be with you all the way and even at the start/finish line!