At the Northburn100 Pacers are for participants who’s prime goal is to complete the distance. If you are aiming for a ‘podium’ finish, man or woman, then to ensure an ‘even playing field’ runners with pacers will be excluded from the merit prizes. Runners with pacers who do ‘happen’ to get a placing among the first 3 runners without pacers will still be recognised and rewarded at the prize giving/in the results.* We would like to stress that we are not ‘anti’ pacers, we think that for many participants they are a great idea and we encourage you to use them.
There will be no registration fee for pacers however they will need to fill out a registration form and sign the waiver before heading out on the course.
Pacers are permitted to carry some of their runners ‘extra’ gear. This does NOT include the minimum required gear** that must be carried by all runners (including pacers) at all times. Extra gear might include water proof trousers, a basic first aid kit, a GPS… that kind of thing.
*E.G. at the awards presentations after the first 3 non paced runners get their prizes we’ll call up the paced runner and say what a good time they did – how pleased they must be with the time and here’s (a prize) for your efforts…
The results will be in order of finishing times with a (p) to indicate runners who made use of a pacer.
** All runners including pacers will need to carry the minimum required gear:
- rain jacket – it can be just a ‘shell’ but it must be seam-sealed waterproof.
- merino or thermal long sleeve top
- extra fleece/mid weight wool top.
- long tights or trousers (not cotton!)
- warm hat or beanie
- polypro gloves
- survival/emergency blanket
- own snacks, gels, energy bars etc
- water bottles/bladders – enough to carry 2 liters of water at all times
- headlight for night-time with back up batteries.
- reflector stripes or vest or back flashing light for night-time running (most running packs these days have reflective tape sewn into them).