And for the rookies to ultra mountain running we have a 50km option. Click here for a local first timer training blog. Or here for a more experienced runner but still a first timer NB50k
Once around the first 50km loop (of the 100km and 160km courses) taking you from 200m above sea level (Start/finish) up over the top of Northburn Station at around 1660m. Total climb of 2200m
There will be plenty of marshals along key areas of the course. The course will be well marked with directional arrows and reflective tape. There will be one aid station about half way with nutrition and electrolyte supplements. There will only be a couple of fresh water re-fill positions (creeks) along the course so a water carrying capacity of about 2L per person is important. there will be some compulsory re-fill points.
This is a dry, hard, rocky course mostly run over high country 4WD tracks but also including some short sections of fence lines and sheep tracks. The weather can be ‘changeable’ so your minimum gear must be carried at all times.
Minimum gear requirements are:
- small day backpack.
- rain jacket – it can be just a ‘shell’ but it must be seam-seeled waterproof.
- merino or thermal long sleeve top
- extra fleece/mid weight wool top we have just added this to the list.
- long tights or trousers
- warm cap or beanie
- polyprop gloves
- survival blanket
- own snacks, gels, energy bars etc
- water bottles/bladders – enough to carry 2 litres of water at all times
- headlight for the early start
- reflector stripes or vest or back flashing light for the early start.
- cell phone (recommended but optional)
- gps/compass (optional)
- gaiters (optional but highly recommended)
Start: 6am Saturday 22nd March 2014, at the Marquee, Northburn Station.
$130 before October 1st. $160 until 1st March 2014